Dental emergencies are inevitable, but not all people are prepared for them. A dental emergency is any issue with your teeth or gums that requires immediate attention. When such occurs, you should seek emergency dentistry. Fortunately, our emergency dentist, Dr. Nicholas Norvell, can help each of his patients in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee. At Restoration Dentistry, we strive to ensure the best treatment for all of our patients, as you and your smile are our priority when you sit in the dentist’s chair in our office.
If you are experiencing a dental emergency, do not hesitate to call our office immediately, and we will get you in as soon as possible to help you.
What is Emergency Dentistry?
Emergency dentistry is a branch of dental care that offers immediate treatment for sudden and unexpected dental issues. Dental emergencies can range from chipped or broken teeth, severe toothaches, knocked-out teeth, loose or missing dental fillings, and oral infections. These issues require immediate attention because they can cause unbearable pain and discomfort and may lead to more severe health complications.
Who Should See an Emergency Dentist?
Anyone can experience dental emergencies, but some people have a higher risk of dental emergencies than others, including people who engage in sports, children, and older adults. Furthermore, individuals with dental appliances, like braces and dentures, also have a high risk of dental emergencies. If you experience any dental emergency, you should seek immediate care from an emergency dentist. Dental emergencies should not be ignored as they can lead to severe dental and general health problems.
Call us immediately if you experience any of the following:
- Toothache: This can occur for various reasons, including cavities, gum disease, or a cracked tooth. It’s essential to see a dentist immediately as they can pinpoint the exact cause and provide appropriate treatment.
- Chipped or broken tooth: Accidents can lead to chipped or broken teeth. Urgent dental care can prevent further damage and infections.
- Knocked-out tooth: If a tooth is knocked out, it’s crucial to get to a dentist as soon as possible. The tooth may be able to be saved with immediate action.
- Lost filling or crown: If a filling or crown falls out, the tooth becomes susceptible to further damage and decay. A dentist should replace it as soon as possible.
- Abscess: An abscess is a painful infection at the root of a tooth or in the space between the teeth and gums. It’s a dental emergency as the infection can spread to other body parts if left untreated.
- Soft-tissue injuries: Injuries to the gums, tongue, or inside of the mouth. Our dentist can help stop the bleeding, prevent infection, and ensure healing.
The exact procedure involved in an emergency dental visit depends on the nature and severity of the issue. First, Dr. Nicholas Norvell will assess the cause and extent of the emergency. Depending on the diagnosis, Dr. Nicholas Norvell may recommend various procedures, including:
Dental fillings help fill up any cavities, focusing on stopping the spread of infection and healing your smile.
When a tooth is too far gone. A dental extraction is essential to remove the decaying tooth.
An essential service in emergency dentistry, a root canal is a procedure designed to save a severely infected or decayed tooth that might otherwise require extraction.
Gum diseases in emergencies can prevent further oral health complications, including tooth loss and systemic infections.
Dr. Nicholas Norvell will also offer tips on how to properly care for your teeth and gums after the emergency procedure.
Preventing Dental Emergencies
Preventative care is key to avoiding future dental emergencies.
The best way to prevent dental emergencies is to practice good oral hygiene and maintain regular dental checkups and cleanings. This ensures that any underlying dental issues are detected early before they become crises.
Use protective gear during sports, avoiding hard foods and candy.
Avoiding harmful habits like smoking can help reduce the risk of dental emergencies.
Emergency Dentist in Mt. Juliet, TN
Dental emergencies happen, but ensuring you have a dentist like Dr. Nicholas Norvell will help to ensure you and your family get the best care during a dental emergency. Our emergency dentist and his team are devoted to helping you every step of the way. Regardless of your dental emergency, we can help you avoid further dental complications and relieve you of any pain.
If you are experiencing a dental emergency, contact our office immediately!